This website is owned by Imperial College London. Imperial College London respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. This privacy notice will:
- inform you as to how we and our partners for the event (see the following for a list of our partners About Us - The Great Exhibition Road Festival) look after your personal data when you visit our website, attend locations and take part; look after your personal data when you visit our website;
- tell you about your privacy rights;
- tell you how the law protects you.
What do we collect?
We may collect data about you, how you use our website, and how our website perform when you use them and / or attend an event. This may include personal data.
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity data - includes first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth, gender and your Internet Protocol (IP) address.
- Your image, audio and likeness - as captured on a webinar, in photographs or on recordings we make of the Event, and on CCTV where the Event is hosted at our premises). For more information please see the following; Guide 11 - Use of photography and video | Administration and support services | Imperial College London
- Professional background – includes your qualifications, professional experience and institution or employer (where this is relevant to an Event).
- Contact data - includes billing address, postal address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Transaction data - includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical data - includes your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile data - includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses].
- Usage data - information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
This data can be viewed by authorised people at Imperial, and trusted partners involved in the event to:
- improve the site by monitoring how you use it e.g. pages you visit on the site and browser versions used
- organise ticketing / attendance for the event
- gather feedback to improve our services
- help us respond to your feedback, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts or newsletters to users who request them
- create promotional material during / after the event via our website, social media accounts and other formats.
We make every effort to collect data appropriately and restrict monitoring only to parts of our website.
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
- As part of the College or other partner organisation Public Interest
- To understand the behaviour of visitors to the site. This would include:
- The number of visitors to different areas
- The types of information being searched for via the sites search engine
- To identify any anomalies in site usage
- To evaluate the popularity of news articles
Find out more about how we process your personal data.
Where we store your data
We store your data on secure servers in the European Economic Area (EEA).
The College will in limited circumstances disclose personal data to third parties, or allow personal data to be stored or handled, in countries outside the European Economic Area. For example, we will transfer data to IT and ticketing/sign-up platform providers based overseas (such as MailChimp, Google and EventBrite) and share information with international co-organisers of an Event (where applicable).
In these circumstances, your personal data will only be transferred where the transfer is subject to one or more of the "appropriate safeguards" for international transfers prescribed by data protection legislation
Although we make every effort to keep your data in the EEA, we occasionally work with third parties in the United States. In these cases, we ensure they are certified on the EU-US Privacy Shield programme.
Use of third parties where information will be processed outside of the EEA will be identified prior to data being collected and a separate Privacy notice will be provided.
How we keep your data secure
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
You can read more about our data breach process on our data protection pages.
How long will you use my personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
For the option on the 'My favourites' web page to share a user's list of events with their contact, we anonymise the sender and recipients' personal data and any message.
Read more about data retention.
Disclosing your information
We do not pass on your details to other websites for their own marketing or commercial purposes.
You can find out what information we hold about you by submitting a subject access request and ask us not to use the information we collect.
You also have the right to have data erased if it is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed, or if there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing. This is sometimes known as ‘the right to be forgotten’.
You can find out more about your rights via the following; Guide 12 - Individual Rights | Administration and support services | Imperial College London
To store a user's favourites, we will set a cookie which contains no personally identifying information and is just a reference to a table in the database which holds all the user's favourites. This cookie is only accessible from the browser and device which added it.
How to manage cookies in your browser
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time. If you’ve signed up for email alerts, you can unsubscribe or change your settings at any time by selecting the ‘unsubscribe’ link that appears in every email.
Links to other websites
The Great Exhibition Road Festival website contains links to other websites.
Following a link to Great Exhibition Road Festival from another website